Tuesday, January 10, 2006

end of an era


Sometime in the next few weeks, a significant corner in Gainesville will change forever.

The corner of University Avenue and 13th Street is a major crossroads for both regular residents and UF students alike. Demolition will begin soon to make way for a multi-level space soon to be filled with retail and residential areas. It will no doubt look great and, add a sense of progress to the corner.

For me, the corner is timeless and represents some of my fondest memories in Gainesville. Many others like myself have taken our turn in line for undoubtedly the best home-made burritos in North Central Florida. Burrito Brothers is moving around the corner while their new digs are being built, but the charm and appeal of the original location will be hard to replace and sorely missed. I will forever, habitually look for the lit GUAC sign in the window. I have lived here long enough to remember the day that neon sign made it's debut, and we all felt very uptown! Where was the handwritten sign of cardboard taped to the window?!

I already miss seeing Target Copy in it's usual place on the corner. They have already moved into a beautiful new location that has afforded them much needed room for production and parking. Target Copy was the first place I worked when I started at UF. I was in desperate need of money, as most college students, and my friend Robin June told me to talk to the owner of Target Copy. He might have something for me. So, I met with Bob at the McDonald's across 13th Street. I started work the next day stuffing mailboxes on campus with flyers advertising the now famous "Free Copy Day". I must have done a good job lugging that case of paper all over campus via my two feet, because it was the beginning of a 7 year career with the company that ended in an upper management position. The faith that Bob had in me over the years provided me with priceless experience that became stepping stones to a number of management positions and some pretty good money! Most of all, I will look at that corner and remember many good times, great friends, lessons learned, late hours, and most importantly, my Gainesville family.

No comments: