Monday, July 24, 2006

Many of you know of our not-so-new obsession to stop taking plastic bags at retail locations. We have purchased our own reusable bags for groceries and whatnots so as to lessen the impact of plastic bags on the environment. *BTW it takes 1000 years for one measly Wal Mart bag to break down.* It's a good thought to try to reuse them once you get them, but the fact remains:
When you are done with them, where do they go?

I digress.

So, I am at Home Depot this weekend, one of a zillion trips, and I am doing the self-check out line which invariably ends up setting off the security alarms when I leave. This time was no different. So I unload my carefully stacked arm in order to show my receipt. The clerk attempts to get me to take a bag, and I refuse. After watching me re-stack my arm, she says quietly, "You know, it is going to take more than just you." Knowing she was talking about my efforts and not the amount of stuff I had to carry, I looked up at her, smiled and said, "I know, but I'm responsible for me." Then she just said a sincere "Thank You".

I will have to say that I was feeling particularly proud of myself. I left Homo Depot bagless, I stood up for a bag-free commerce exchange, and hopefully made someone think.
Get your bags at Reusable Bags. Very handy, strong and safe. Get off your wallet and buy a few every now and then. Before you know it, you have enough for any shopping venture. They even offer quantity discounts now and a variety of colors for you fashion mavens.

No comments: