Friday, July 14, 2006

Renew my subscription for voting rights please!

The House voted to renew/extend the Voting Rights Act for another 25 years yesterday.

Okay...Am I the only one that this sounds funny to? I thought our RIGHTS were written into the Constitution. It sounds odd doesn't it? "Yes, I'd like to renew my subscription to be treated like a living being in this free country to which I was born. I'd also like to inquire about any Early Bird specials that may apply."

Then I remembered that we had to actually pass an act to insure that ALL people get to vote and that no one is turned away at the polls dues to skin color. Boy, isn't this a harsh remind of our shameful past. I say past like it doesn't happen anymore, but then I look at the voting record and see that 33 votes were cast against this extension.

So does this renewal mean that during the next presidential election, black voters can't/shouldn't be disenfranchised? Tsk...silly me...that would mean that our elected officials would actually abide by the laws they pass.

No comments: