Friday, July 14, 2006


So I have been faithfully going to my acupuncture treatments over the last few weeks. This week was #8. She wants me to finish the series of ten, and then if need be, we will change the approach. Frankly, I think I've stumped the doctor. She says most people respond quickly, like within the first couple of visits. I did have a reduction in the itching after the 1st and the 7th, and although I am itchy right now, it feels like it will be manageable today.

This whole thing continues to be very puzzling, frustrating, scary, interesting, expensive,and altogether makes you say "Really? Still itching?"

I do have a shred of hope left, however. Tuesday's session began with the doctor stating that she was going to approach a bit different. She placed all of the regular needles and included both ears this time as well. YIKES! Very tender! Here's were "interesting" gets even more so.
As she placed the next to last needle in my forearm/wrist area, I immediately began to cry. Not just tearing up, but lump-in-throat-can't-talk-for-fear-of-inaudible-sounds-coming-out-crying!
weird right? I found it very strange and not fun.
As most fo you know, I am a bit of a control freak, and I had ZERO control of this. I don't know if it was that I finally hit my pain/discomfort threshold, stress, anxiety, the fact that I had a mounting headache, our obsession/anxiety over whether to buy a new house or not, the fact that I rarely cry anymore because I have no reason, or Freud's explanation: latent anger and unresolved issues with...dum dum dummmm...my mother. Geez... her again.

Who knows. We'll see if it happens again next week. Until then, picture me on the table, knees slightly bent, 24 acupuncture needles in place, me silently crying/freaking out on the table, and the doctor wiping my tears because with the needles in I am virtually paralyzed!
Okay...have a nice day!

No comments: