Monday, May 05, 2008

Broadway Monday

Welcome to the first of a recurring weekly series called "Broadway Monday".

You all know my love for the Great White Way, right? So I decided as a treat to myself, and to give my site a little bit more structure, I am incorporating something that aims to both delight (me) and enlighten (you). To be fair, if this goes as I plan, I will be as equally enlightened as you, in finding out more about shows that are new or new to you, old, running, closed, and in preview. Because Broadway is traditionally "dark" on Mondays, I feel it only right to do my part to keep the theatres in the thoughts and minds of my faithful clan. My plan is to always have the music selection for the post come from the featured show which will tickle me beyond measure. I am most excited about this part because I have come to realize that showtunes are continually running through my brain, and I have been know to just burst out in a song that seems appropriate to the topic of conversation! My lovely mockingly asked the other day "Your life is a Broadway show isn't it?" Yes. Yes it is.

So sit back and enjoy. I'd love some feedback too!

________________________________________________

A Chorus Line

In an empty theatre, on a bare stage, casting for a new Broadway musical is almost complete. For 17 dancers, this audition is the one opportunity to do what they've always dreamed of. Not to be the star, but to get the job … to have the chance to dance and come through.

This is A Chorus Line, the musical for everyone who's ever had a dream and put it all on the line.


1975

2006


We were fortunate enough to pick up tickets to the 2006 revival of this classic show during our last trip to NYC in March. Our friend Nick Adams currently stars in the role of Larry, and did a mighty fine job!


The original show opened in 1975, won 9 Tony Awards in 1976 and ran for 15 years on Broadway at the Shubert Theatre becoming the longest running American musical in history. It has become a classic that defines the struggles of dancers fighting to win a spot on the Broadway stage. Classic show, timely and relevant topic that is most likely playing out in real life right now as you read this!


Watch a great commercial featuring some of the cast we saw this March.

No comments: