Monday, June 23, 2008

Broadway Monday

The Pirate QueenI have been holding back using a show involving my favorite Broadway star, Stephanie J. Block in a Broadway Monday for fear that I may incur eye-rolls and "of course"es. But, I can no longer ignore and shun one of the most beautiful shows I have seen, and I feel it would be negligent of me continue to hide the beautiful music from Boublil and Schonberg's The Pirate Queen any longer. So here goes!

This spectacular new musical adventure tells of a compelling, inspiring woman: a heroine who led an extraordinary life as a pirate, chieftain, lover and mother in 16th Century Ireland. Her quest to protect her people - and save her one true love - embarks her on a thrilling voyage that climaxes in a heated confrontation with the one woman more powerful than her... her fierce rival Queen Elizabeth I of England.
Celebrating the real-life story of legendary Irish Chieftain Grace O'Malley, The Pirate Queen combines classic storytelling and a sweeping score with the powerful, vibrant traditions of Irish dance and song, to create a new musical event and an epic romance. The Pirate Queen features an original score from the world renowned Tony Award®-winning team of Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg, direction by Tony Award-winner Frank Galati and a spectacular cast of 40 led by Stephanie J. Block, Hadley Fraser, Linda Balgord, Marcus Chait, Jeff McCarthy and William Youmans. We were fortunate enough to see two incarnations of this show. We traveled to Chicago to attend a preview during the out of town tryout, and then again in NYC May of 2007. The show changed a good bit between Chicago and New York, but all for the best. The story tightened up and clarifications were added that helped the storyline. I can't say it was the best story I have ever seen brought to the stage, but I will be hard pressed to find another show that is as beautiful in the departments of lighting, costumes and music. The recording still brings chills when I listen to it today.
I can't tell you how great it was to finally have Stephanie's beautiful voice resound through my car and home! The entire talented cast was spectacular and it afforded us the opportunity to be exposed to the wonderful Hadley Fraser and our friend Nick Adams.

1 comment:

Revday said...

Hey, if you don't give us the material how can we have fun at your expense? Tee Hee.