Thursday, June 26, 2008

i enjoy being a girl

***TMI Alert***
Don't say I didn't warn you
So today I wake up to the always lovely surprise of starting my period. Happy Thursday! Yes, I count my days...not because I hate surprises, but because my 40's have brought the delight of "fluctuating" visits from Aunt Flow. "A period every three weeks?!" you say? Yes sir, may I have another!
This afternoon I was schlubbing around the house, dragging my pulsing uterus behind me, lamenting the misfortune of this monthly event when it dawned on me that this summer marks a momentous occasion.
Thirty years ago this summer I was a bright-eyed 11-year-old looking forward to my first day of middle school in a few weeks. Oh the promise of a new school, new teachers, one step closer to high school...and then it happened...I got my period. I was not one of those girls longing for the day I could say I was a "woman". I thought it was gross, inconvenient, girly, embarrassing...I actually still think most of those things. Anyway, you get the idea. I started early, which most likely means I will be plunging into menopause early too and I feel just the same about that event as I did about the whole bloody mess that got this started.
So let's help turn my frown upside down with a group sing-a-long!
Join in nice and loud now!
"Happy Menses to me, Happy Menses to me..."


No comments: