Monday, August 17, 2009

Broadway Monday

In the Next Room (or the vibrator play)
In the Next Room (or the vibrator play) illuminates the lives of six lonely people seeking relief from a local doctor—but, despite his expertise with a strange new technology, all they really need is intimacy. It’s a tender tale that takes place in the twilight of the Victorian age, an elegant comedy lit by unexpected sparks from the approaching era of electricity, equality, science and sexuality.
So. A play about vibrators. Hmmm..how do I feel about that... AWESOME!!!!
There is great buzz about this play making it's way to Broadway this year. I can only assume the houses will be full of curious women and men who can't escape the pull of the title. I mean really. I'll go see it simply from the curiosity standpoint! The second thing that intrigues me about this show is that it's not set in the modern day as one would expect. It's set in the 19th century when people didn't talk about sex much less pleasuring oneself! I adore the juxtaposition of the topic versus the laced-up stodgy era in which it's taking place. Oh! Did I mention there is a little lesbian/girl-crush action sprinkled in for good measure?!
The characters reveal their inadequacies in both relationships and knowledge of their bodies and in the process come to terms with their own shortcomings and narrow-mindedness. I said this was a period piece, right? Right. I can already see the time traveling parallels being drawn.
I think it is an interesting presentation twist on a common topic and may very well be the vehicle that propels playwright Sarah Ruhl a bit closer to the stratosphere.
In the Next Room (or the vibrator play) opens on Broadway at the Lyceum Theatre at Lincoln Center. Run time is scheduled for November 19, 2009-January 10, 2010.

2 comments:

Bren B said...

I can see why there would be a lot of buzz about this play.... ;)

Revday said...

Tee Hee!