Friday, September 18, 2009

sometimes I am actually present in the moment

Poignant moment today as my lovely and I worked with a young man who just earlier this year was in a coma after suffering severe injuries and brain damage from a drunk driving incident.

As I delivered the protocols for cold laser therapy to his legs, spine and brain, Jen was engaging him in activities to stimulate his gross motor skills. Something like lifting his leg in a requested direction is difficult for him. His brain and body are struggling to remap the paths that allow him to move effortlessly, like you and I.

Couldn't help but notice his struggle to complete the tasks as this song rang throughout the office in the background. ("Be OK" by Ingrdi Michaelson)

I wonder if his brain heard this quiet mantra as he worked so hard learning to walk again?
I like to think so.

No comments: